Our Lady's Promise to Those Wearing the Brown Scapular
Under the title of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, the modified version of the Carmelite habit was given to St. Simon Stock on July 6, 1251 with the promise beyond anything he sought, Saying “this shall be for you and for all Carmelites a special favor – that whoever dies wearing this, shall never suffer eternal fire.”
This was the promise the Mother of God made – who ever dies wearing the brown scapular will be saved. The scapular is still our help today, as a sign of true devotion to Mary. It signifies veneration, confidence and love.
Conditions Required for Gaining Our Lady's Promise
The Scapular Is a Silent Prayer. It is a devotion where we venerate, love, and trust Her in protection and tell Her these things every moment of the day simply by wearing the Brown Scapular.
- Observe exactly the specifications given regarding the material (must be 100% wool), color (brown), and shape (must be oblong or square) of the Scapular.
- Be enrolled in the Confraternity of the Scapular, by a priest.
- Wear it daily and continually. You must wear it over the shoulders, so that one part hangs over the chest and the other part hangs over the back.
Indulgences Granted to Those Who Devoutly Wear the Brown Scapular
- A plenary indulgence on the day of receiving the Scapular.
Conditions: Confession and Communion
- Plenary Indulgence at the moment of death.
Conditions: Confession, Communion, and devout invocation of the Holy Name of Jesus.
- Recite the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary (or with permission of your priest, substitute saying the Rosary) 100 days indulgence.
- Each time the Scapular is kissed devoutly 500 days indulgences
Sabbatine Privilege with Wearing the Brown Scapular
It is the promise piously to be believed, that the Blessed Virgin Mary gave to Pope John XXII in a vision, that She will deliver Her faithful children who have worn the Scapular devoutly from purgatory soon after their death, notably the first Saturday after death. “As a tender Mother, I will descend into purgatory on the Saturday after their death, and will deliver them into the heavenly mansions of life everlasting.” (Words of the Blessed Virgin Mary to Pope John XXII).
This Sabbatine Privilege was promulgated and taught through the famous Bull Sacratissimo Uti Culmine (Sabbatine Bull) of Pope John XXII in 1322 and given definitive ratification in 1908 by the Holy See.
Conditions Required to Obtain the Sabbatine Privelege
- Observe Chastity according to one’s state in life
- Recite the Little Office of Our Blessed Mother (the Rosary may be substituted with permission from a priest)
Our Lady revealed to Venerable Dominic of Jesus and Mary: ‘Although many wear my Scapular, only a few fulfill conditions for the Sabbatine Privilege.’
It is an act of charity to make the Sabbatine Privilege known to all. See the importance of making Our Lady’s Privilege known – if you consider that the flames are the same as the fires of Hell!
The evil spirit is utterly powerless when the wearer of a Scapular faces temptation, calling upon the Holy Virgin in this silent devotion. “If you had recommended yourself to me, you would not have run into such danger,” was Our Lady’s gentle reproach to Blessed Alan de la Roche, one of her devoted servants.
A young lady went to confession to the Cure of Ars, Saint John Vianney. Before she began her confession, Saint John Vianney said to her, “Remember a few days ago in the ballroom a good-looking young man who danced with all the girls but you? And you felt ashamed? And remember you saw sparks coming off his feet when he left? Know that it was the devil in human form, and the only reason he didn’t dance with you is because you were wearing the Scapular. Thank the Blessed Mother for that.”
It is especially in time of temptation that we need the powerful intercession of God’s Mother. Heed Our Lady’s wish: ‘Wear the Scapular devoutly and perseveringly … It shall be a sign of salvation, a protection in danger, and a pledge of peace.”